We're sorry, to use this web app your browser needs to support
Rectangular Marquee Tool
If the editor launch was blocked by your browser consider adding gifgit.com to your browser safe popup list.
- Click the Customize and control Google Chrome menu. (⋮ button at top right of browser).
- Click Settings.
- Expand the Advanced menu then select the Privacy and Security in the sidebar.
- Click Site Settings then Pop-ups and redirects.
- Under Allow click the Add button.
- Enter gifgit.com in the dialog and press Add.
About the Rectangular Marquee Tool
More Selection ToolsTry the elliptical marque, lasso or the polygon lasso selection tools available in our online photo editor.
How to Use the Rectangular Marquee Tool
- Upload an image using the form above to load it in the online editor. If you already have an image opened in the editor select the rectangular marquee tool by clicking its icon in the toolbar.
- Use the tool options tab to set the desired mode of operation, aspect ratio, and increment step of the rectangular marquee.
- To begin the selecting press in the image to set the starting point of the rectangle. With the mouse still pressed drag to surround the desired area of the image with the rectangular selection. While dragging you will observe the dimensions of the selection being adjusted to fit between the start point and drag point. The selection is completed when the mouse is released. A marching ants box indicates the region bounded by the rectangular marquee.
How the Rectangular Marquee Works
Choosing the Rectangular MarqueeTo use the rectangular marquee tool look in the toolbar for the tool icon that has a small square with a dashed border line. Clicking the icon will activate it in the editor and load the rectangular marquee tool settings in the options bar.
Creating the Rectangular SelectionThe rectangular selection is formed by drawing from a starting corner point to the opposite diagonal corner point of the rectangular area you want to select. To begin the rectangular selection press and hold in the image to set the corner point of the rectangular selection area. Depending on where you drag the mouse the corner point will be a top-left, top-right, bottom-left or bottom-right point. Drag the mouse to cover the desired rectangular area you want in the image then release to complete the rectangular selection. An animated 'marching ants' border line indicates the bounds of the rectangular selection area.
Modifying the SelectionOptions under the 'Select' menu can be used to modify the active selection:
Changes the selection to a border outline of itself with a pixel width that is set by the user.
Expands the border of the selection area by a user set number of pixels.
Contracts the border of the selection area by a user set number of pixels.
Rectangular Marquee Tool Options
Determines how the current drawn selection will interact with the selection that is already present. This modes are as follows:
- New - replaces any selection with the new rectangular selection.
- Union (Add) - joins the new drawn rectangular selection with the selection that is already present.
- Subtract - Creates a selection by subtracting the drawn rectangular selection from the the selection already present.
- Aspect ratio - Set.
Sets the ratio restrictions of the dimensions of the rectangular marquee.
Determines the number of pixels to move the rectangular marquee when a keyboard arrow key is pressed.
Feature Rich Online Image Editor
|Browser based editing (No software download)||Yes||Yes|
|Layer Masks (Non-Destructive Editing)||Yes||No|
|Undo History List||Yes||No|